Sunday, February 28, 2010

Posers?

I was watching an episode of Bones yesterday, and one of the characters was this artist who lived near the Navajo in New Mexico. He was a white guy whose art was "based on" Native American designs. Basically, he was copying the Indians. There were a lot of insults hurled at him by the other characters about his copy-cat ways and how it is not really his art.

I think Native American designs are beautiful, but part of the beauty is all the culture and history behind them. Because of this, I agreed with the other characters that this artist guy was a poser ripping off hundreds of years of tradition. Some white guy producing the same images just feels wrong and false. I mean, haven't the white dudes done enough to those poor people without creating facsimiles of their artwork?

So I guess my question is, Do you agree or disagree that the white artist is in the wrong for producing Native American-style art? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment