Sunday, April 4, 2010

Response to Katherine Marchand: Qualities of an Art Critic

Katherine asked the question, Do people benefit from reading art reviews from critics who may have different tastes than themselves?

I think definitely believe that people could have a lot to gain by reading art reviews--both from people who have similar tastes and those who have different tastes. Before I took Great Monuments of Art last semester with Laura Thompson, this would not have been the case. I would have said, "Why do I need someone else to tell me about the painting I'm looking at right in front of me?" Now, though, I realize the importance of considering other views.

When I was in Great Monuments of Art, Professor Thompson would put an image on the projector and we would study it. She would then ask us what we saw. Every single time, somebody would notice something I didn't or interpret a detail in a different way than I did. This made me think about the artworks in new and different ways, and allowed me to learn that much more about them.

The same concept applies to other types of art, as well. When you watch a dance performance, you may interpret the dancer's emotions and movements differently than the person sitting next to you. Another listener may hear a different message in the song playing on the radio. We are all unique beings with our own points of view, and there is nothing wrong with sharing and learning with each other.

My question is response is: Do you find it easy to consider a point of view different from your own with regards to art? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment