Sunday, March 14, 2010

Art as a Teaching Tool


I want to talk today about art as a teaching tool. There are many paintings that depict historical events and are used to teach about historical events. Perhaps one of the most famous examples is the painting, George Washington Crossing the Delaware by Emanuel Gottlieb Leutze. I included in this post (at right) so that whoever is reading this may refer to it as necessary. Basically, it depicts the noble founding father crossing the Delaware River to go do battle with the hated Red Coats.

Many schools and textbooks use this painting as though it is an actual photograph of the event it depicts. I think this is a rather silly thing to do. First of all, this painting was done in 1851--almost 100 years after the actual crossing of the river took place. How would Leutze know what it looked like? Furthermore, is it really likely that Washington could stand in such a straight, proud position with an obviously turbulent trip happening around him? There are other things wrong with the portrayal, but I don't want to bore you or shove my opinions down your throat.

In addition, I'm sure the scene looked very different to those on the opposing team (the British).

My question to you all is this, Do you believe paintings should be used to teach about historical events? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment